Friday, January 9, 2009

Lots o' Meat Lasagna



Lasagna is a tricky thing for this family--reason being I have a SPOILED husband who served his mission in Italy and feasted upon pasta perfection.
He says he has never had a lasagna in America that compared to those in Italy.
The problem with me and lasagna is that I reallllly realllly don't like ricotta. I never liked lasagna growing up because of that lumpy icky cheese. I know some families use cottage cheese (even grosser for me...)
So I usually steer clear from lasagna-making. Did I mention that Tom doesn't like ricotta either?
Anyway, I had a major craving for a huge slice of lasagna. I remember seeing a Paula Deen episode a while back when she made a huge lasagna and a huge piece of garlic bread, slapped the slice on the bread and made a lasagna sandwich. As soon as that image fluttered in my mind I knew I need lasagna for dinner.

So I came up with a solution for the icky ricotta...and came up with this combo. Growing up in an Italian household, my sister thinks this recipe is sacrilege, but I think it was pretty darn tasty--and Tom loved it.

For my fake ricotta sauce I used:
4-6 oz of cream cheese
8 oz of sour cream
1 cup of grated parmesean
(I also sauteed peppers, onions and mushrooms and once they cooled, added them to my cream mixture)

My red sauce was a jar of prego mixed with a can of crushed tomatoes, a ton of garlic, oregano, basil, salt and pepper.
I added this to 1 lb of browned hamburger meat
and 1 lb of browned crumbled italian sausage.
I let it simmer away for about 30 minutes.

After the noodles were cooked a littler harder than al dente, I began to layer my lasagna.
A little red sauce, noodles, cream sauce, mozzarella, layer of pepperoni (hence the name lots of meat lasagna) , red sauce...and so on and so forth.
Top with a ton of mozzarella, and bake at 350 for about 35-40 minutes...when the mozzarella looks golden brown.

I know its not a "traditional" Italian lasagna, but it was like a Supreme Meat Lovers pizza layered in lasagna style....and anything with a ton of meat is always a winner with my hub!

1 comments:

jessie lee

for some reason i cannot get past the layer o' pepperoni.

*shudder*

i hear daddy is making some excellent meatballs for sunday dinner...