In honor of my new blog background, I dug up a recipe I saved from last summer as a *must make* for a summer barbeque party. I am excited to make this, because Tom has never had rhubarb before! I told him how when I was growing up I would break off the rhubarb stems at my nana's house and she would let me dip them in sugar between swimming breaks....those were the days....
Cherry and Rhubarb Crisp
3cups Sweet WA Cherries; washed and pitted
3 cups Rhubarb; washed and chopped
1/3 cup Granulated Sugar
1 Tbl. Cornstarch
2 tsp. Fresh Lemon Juice
3/4 cup All-purpose Flour
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
1/4 cup Powdered Sugar
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Baking Powder
1/4 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1/4 tsp. Ground Nutmeg
1/2 cup Walnuts; coarsely chopped
1/3 cup Butter; melted
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Lightly butter a 2 quart casserole dish.
3. Place cherries and rhubarb in a medium sized mixing bowl.
4. Combine the sugar and cornstarch and sprinkle over fruit mixture.
5. Add the lemon juice and toss gently. Transfer to prepared baking dish.
6. Sift together the flour, sugars, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add the walnuts. Pour in the butter and toss with a fork to form large crumbs.
7. Sprinkle topping over filling.
8. Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until crumbs begin to brown and filling juices are bubbling. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.