Friday, September 12, 2008

Food Storage Friday!



So, as you know, I am slowly (one week at a time) trying to learn more about food storage as well as starting our own. I know all the information sites say not to become OVERWHELMED with the numbers, but here it is, ladies and gents...the recommended amounts of food for 1 adult(7+)/1 child under 6 for ONE YEAR.

ONE ADULT

Grains:

Wheat: 150 lbs
Flour: 25 lbs
Cornmeal: 25 lbs
Oats: 25 lbs
Rice: 50 lbs
Pasta: 25 lbs
Total Grains: 300 lbs

Fats and Oils:

Shortening: 4 lbs
Vegetable Oil: 2 gallons
Mayo: 2 quarts
Salad Dressing: 1 quart
Peanut Butter: 4 lbs
Total Fats: 13 lbs

Legumes:

Beans, Dry: 30 lbs
Lima Beans: 5 lbs
Soy Beans: 10 lbs
Split Peas: 5 lbs
Lentils: 5 lbs
Dry Soup Mix: 5 lbs
Total Legumes: 60 lbs

Sugars:

Honey: 3 lbs
Sugar: 40 lbs
Brown Sugar: 3 lbs
Molasses: 1 lb
Corn Syrup: 3 lbs
Jam: 3 lbs
Fruit Drink, powdered: 6 lbs
Flavored Gelatin: 1 lb
Total Sugars: 60 lbs

Dairy:

Dry Milk: 60 lbs
Evaporated Milk: 12 cans
Other: 13 lbs
Total Dairy: 75 lbs

Cooking Essentials:

Baking Powder: 1 lb
Baking Soda: 1 lb
Yeast: .5 lb
Salt: 5 lbs
Vinegar: .5 gallon

Water:

Water: 14 gallons
Bleach: 1 gallon

Children 0-6 is approximately half, making sure if you have an infant, that formula and baby food are included.

I REALLY better get a move on..... I always discourage myself when I'm at the grocery store, because I keep thinking, I have NO SPACE for this stuff! At the very least, at least I have this information, so when we move into a house, I will be equipped to start storing!

0 comments: