Friday, July 25, 2008

Food Storage Fridays

With the economy the way it is, I think many people--LDS or not, are beginning to understand more and more how useful a food storage could be. Tom and I dont really have a GREAT food storage established yet, I figured--I'll have a nice one when we have a bigger family and I have more space....but Im coming to realize thats not the best way too think about it. After reading the Food Storage chapter of my latest summer read: "A Family Raised on Sunshine", I decided to dedicate Friday's to any useful food storage tips I could gather up. Hopefully throughout the year we will be able to establish a much better storage!


Why establish a Food Storage in your home?

1. We have been counseled by the Lord, through a prophet
2. The scriptures tell us in 1 Timothy 5:8

But if any provide not for his own, and especially for those of his own house,
he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.


3. It's a known fact that foods "have their season" Every few years fruit trees
dont bear, shortages occur, and the economy has its ups and downs.

Remember, our bodies are the temples of our spirits, and we want to feed them properly. We also want to be able to eat nutritiously during times of need when we use our food storage. It is only feasible, then, to "Store what you eat and eat what you store!"


First step in starting your food storage:

Sit down with your family and make a list of the basic foods you use in a week. This is easy to do, taking the three meals a day, and its not so overwhelming to comprehend. As you get your weekly list figured, multiply each item by 52 and you'lll have your needs met for the year. Remember: these are the BASICS!

Second Step:

Prepare a place to keep your supply. Ideally, this should have a stable temperature of 55-60 degrees. The storage area should be dry and dark. Never store anything directly on a concrete floor.
When storing, always rotate and keep track of what you have. In weeks to come I plan on posting an organized system to help with that!

As members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, we nearly all store wheat...so next week I want to post information on Wheat. (Because that's one thing that scared me the most about food storage!)

I hope someone out there will benefit from my food storage exploration! :)

0 comments: